onsdag 24 november 2010

To delete or not to delete, that is the question

I'm a big fan of memories, I seem to collect them all the time. Memories aren't always happy ones, unfortunately, and some can be painful to remember. We chose to forget these memories and try to delete them from our heads. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" shows us that this might not be the right thing to do. As this point it's important to say, I'm talking about happy memories that later has seized to be happy and became depressing.

We can, however, avoid to do things that bring up the memory again. This could include avoiding places, roads or even music that in themselves aren't painful, but reminds us of a person or event. However, a phenomenon, dubbed the Madeleine moment, deals with involuntary memories, memories that are triggered by a smell or similar. How can we ever avoid this? Are we fucked? Well, if someone would chose to delete a person and its memories and then experienced this, yes.

I like to think about times passed, even the times I was happy but now aren't, the same way. Thinking of my ex-girlfriend doesn't bring me to tears any more, it brings me to a time when I was younger, that's all. And actually, to heal a wound of that magnitude (a broken relationship) it might be a good thing to face one's demons. I do it, sometimes, through the media of old photographs and letters. I did that very recently, I can't remember why, but now it feels as the demon is put to rest. The alternative would have been to delete all these photographs and letter before I wanted to look at them one more time, but... no.

Deleting things like these would be to deny my passed, and I don't want to do that. That is the same as to be ashamed of what you did back in the days, and I'm not ashamed. I'm, however, not happy about them either, I'm... insightful. It is a memory, might be of a happy time, but not any more. So why not take a trip down memory lane, for old times' sake.

This makes me sound like a masochist that wants to torment my soul. But no, I'm only trying to say that I'm opposed deleting a person in my phone book prematurely. That sounded, oh, so wrong.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar